However, according to a colleague:
- I am not a Doula because I don’t advertise, market or promote my services.
- I am not a Doula because I don’t attend events for Doula’s.
- I am not a Doula because I am not a member of Doula UK.
- I am not a Doula because ‘people’ do not know I am a Doula.
In subsequent Facebook musings with my tribe I am delighted to say that many of my Doula friends are like me. Karen decided we are Dont’las. Caroline agreed and said “…..because I don't ostentatiously promote myself. And because I don't schmooze with loads of other doula's. Or attend every single event / screening / workshop / group hug. It's just about the women, families and babies for me. That's it. I’m a Dont'la!”
So there you go. You may want a Doula to support your birth and you can find out more information at Doula UK – seriously take a look.
I was also reminded by Hannah that ‘there is a Doula for everyone’………I’m not so sure about Dont’las though – I’ll let you know………
† Doulas support the whole family to have a positive experience of pregnancy, birth and the early weeks with a new baby - Doula UK
* thanks to Jay Kelly for that wonderfully descriptive phrase.